To hopefully awaken and further inform the discussion around the ANAME and HTTP draft specifications that have been put forward, I've done some further analysis across the Alexa top 1 million domains - my initial findings are available at https://thpts.github.io/a_or_cname/ .

A brief summary of what I have found across the entire dataset:

* 51% of www records return an A record
* 47% of www records return a CNAME
  * 64% of those point www back to apex (i.e. www.example.com. IN CNAME example.com.)
* 17 www records are DNAME

Any feedback, corrections, and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards