Brian Dickson writes:
> Have any "closed system" implementations of non-standard apex-CNAME
> hacks, committed publicly to neutral ANAME operations, presuming
> ANAME as currently envisioned?  I.e. If each such provider will
> ONLY support ANAME with targets on their own infrastructure, I don't
> think the standardization effort will have any real value.

I have a related question ... is allowing only targets on their own
infrastructure currently a limitation most such providers have?

I can't speak to Akamai's plans for implementing ANAME, but can say
that one of their apex-CNAME features allows any name to be used as a
target.  Their other feature allows only a subset of names on their
platform to be a target but that's an efficiency issue, not a policy
one, and I would expect their handling of ANAME to use that method
when appropriate or fall back to the general case otherwise.