I'm working on a system that needs to authenticate a TLD owner/operator in
order to take specific actions. We had intended to handle this by requiring
them to publish a token in a TXT record under a subdomain of nic.tld, but
it's been brought to our attention that we can't rely on nic.tld being
owned by the TLD operators - this is only a reserved domain on ICANN
new-gTLDs, not on ccTLDs or older gTLDs.

An alternative is to require a message signed by the TLD's DNSSEC zone
signing key, but I'm uncertain whether it's practical for TLD operators to
sign arbitrary messages using their keys.

Are there domains that are globally reserved for the operator across all
TLDs? If not, does anyone have any recommendations on an alternative
authorisation or authentication mechanism?

-Nick Johnson