> On 14 Jun 2019, at 03:18, Nick Johnson <nick=40ethereum....@dmarc.ietf.org>
> wrote:
>
> I'm working on a system that needs to authenticate a TLD owner/operator in
> order to take specific actions. We had intended to handle this by requiring
> them to publish a token in a TXT record

This assumes someone who is able to update the TLD has the authority or ability
to change the TLD’s delegation. That’s not necessarily true. Think of
registries who outsource their registry operations and/or DNS service to third
parties. Such third parties might well be able to edit the zone file (or
whatever) but that doesn’t necessarily mean the registry authorised or
requested those changes.