On 10 Jul 2019, at 10:13, Philip Homburg <pch-dnso...@u-1.phicoh.com> wrote:

> Support for voluntary information has a cost to implement. It is possible
> that registrars don't want to provide that feature because it would not
> make them any money.

It's also possible that registrants don't want registrars to provide that
feature. In the past many registrars were able to charge extra for services
that would effectively redact personal information from the data accessible via
whois, services that had in some cases the additional costs of e-mail and phone
redirection included with them. If we infer that the products wouldn't have
been made available if nobody bought them, perhaps we can conclude that at
least some registrants had a preference for privacy.

A mechanism for voluntary publication of private information by the data
subjects that enjoyed standardisation might fail because there is no demand for
it. This does not seem like an unlikely outcome to me. To be honest, I find it
hard to imagine any registrant paying extra money or spending extra time
publishing personal information to the general public voluntarily. It'd be like
paying a restaurant extra to have a waiter spit in your food.

Climbing up a few thousand feet (and not replying to you directly, Philip) it's
not clear to me that this discussion has revealed any real support for John's
proposal. I have no standing to judge consensus here, in case that's not
already abundantly obvious, but perhaps it'd be an idea to stop the circular,
point-by-point rebuttals and simply concede that there's no appetite to proceed
with this work here. Other venues have been suggested.

Joe