On 23 Aug 2019, at 18:07, Rob Sayre <say...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 23, 2019 at 2:40 PM Joe Abley <jab...@hopcount.ca> wrote:
>
>> I have never been very excited about your ALT proposal. However, I don't
>> think it will do any harm beyond thwarting any secret plans anybody might
>> have...
>
> What exactly do you mean?

I mean that if ALT was reserved such that it was not available for delegation
from the root zone, that would presumably exclude it from any future new gTLD
round, just as LOCAL, LOCALHOST, EXAMPLE and INVALID are reserved.

Anybody who was currently harbouring plans to apply for ALT in some future
round of new gTLD applications would therefore presumably feel harmed by a
decision to make it impossible for those plans to be executed.

I can't think of anybody else that the proposal would harm.

Hopefully that is more clear.

Joe