On Feb 26, 2020, at 14:35, Dan York <y...@isoc.org> wrote:

> While a new RR type is obviously different from a crypto algorithm, the
> “system upgrade” is similar:
>
> - resolvers have to be upgraded to support the new behavior of the ANAME
> record

For what it's worth, there are numerous examples of ANAME-like ALIAS
functionality that were implemented on authority servers and have not
needed any changes on recursive servers.

(Recursive servers also don't generally need upgrades to support new RRTypes.)

> - authoritative servers need to upgraded to process the ANAME record

Yes. In the ALIAS cases that I know of that happened in the form of
product offerings from commercial operators who had a commercial
reason to make them.

> - DNS hosting providers (which can often also be registrars) need to have
> updated software to allow customers to enter ANAME records

In the enterprise case where its non-trivial to use multiple providers
because of all the Stupid DNS Tricks you need as a customer, this is
the same as the previous point.

> - DNSSEC signing software may need to be updated to sign the ANAME record
> (section 4.2 in the ANAME draft notes the sibling resolution that must occur
> before signing)

DNSSEC wasn't implemented in the cases I'm aware of (at least while I
was paying attention) but if you can generate signatures at response
time I don't think ANAME makes anything more complicated.

Joe