Paul Hoffman <paul.hoff...@icann.org> wrote:

> This draft is about discouraging people from signing with SHA-1 by
> directly harming them (implementations that will no longer be able to
> validate their signatures). While threats of direct harm are probably
> effective at getting to a desired outcome, they do not represent the way
> the IETF normally does its work. (I'm happy about that.)

I tried to address this in the security considerations section. The
aim is to avoid harm, specifically the harm of having to suddenly and
surprisingly disable SHA-1 validation via a mass CVE and security patch
when a collision attack improvement comes along that makes it dangerously
misleading to stick an AD bit on an answer from a SHA-1 zone. Which is why
the timetable aims to stop the use of SHA-1 for signing before it stops
the use of SHA-1 for validating, assuming optimistically that we actually
have 2 years available. (I fear we don't.)

WRT updating RFC 8624, my hope is that updated implementation requirements
will encourage better tools to make it easier to upgrade from SHA-1 before
SHA-1 becomes useless. My initial suggestions are probably ham-fisted, but
for software that is on an annual cycle of feature releases there isn't
time for a multi-stage deprecation. I don't think there's any point
addressing a draft to operators if the tooling still encourages the use of
SHA-1.

This problem should have been dealt with years ago, and now it needs to be
treated as an emergency.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <d...@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/
fight poverty, oppression, hunger, ignorance, disease, and aggression