On Mar 9, 2020, at 6:46 PM, Tony Finch <d...@dotat.at> wrote:

> Paul Hoffman <paul.hoff...@icann.org> wrote:
>>
>> This draft is about discouraging people from signing with SHA-1 by
>> directly harming them (implementations that will no longer be able to
>> validate their signatures). While threats of direct harm are probably
>> effective at getting to a desired outcome, they do not represent the way
>> the IETF normally does its work. (I'm happy about that.)
>
> I tried to address this in the security considerations section. The
> aim is to avoid harm, specifically the harm of having to suddenly and
> surprisingly disable SHA-1 validation via a mass CVE and security patch
> when a collision attack improvement comes along that makes it dangerously
> misleading to stick an AD bit on an answer from a SHA-1 zone.

This confuses a harm purposely caused by authorities (in this case, the IETF),
with self-harm (in this case, a zone owner who didn't hear about the importance
of doing an algorithm rollover, or did hear but didn't care).  They are quite
different.

> Which is why
> the timetable aims to stop the use of SHA-1 for signing before it stops
> the use of SHA-1 for validating, assuming optimistically that we actually
> have 2 years available. (I fear we don't.)

Who is "we" there? Those of us who have seen the warnings now have all the time
in the world to heed them, to plan to heed them Real Soon Now, or to prioritize
other parts of our lives above this possible harm to us. It is only the people
who have not heard whom have time issues before the attacks get easier.

> WRT updating RFC 8624, my hope is that updated implementation requirements
> will encourage better tools to make it easier to upgrade from SHA-1 before
> SHA-1 becomes useless. My initial suggestions are probably ham-fisted, but
> for software that is on an annual cycle of feature releases there isn't
> time for a multi-stage deprecation. I don't think there's any point
> addressing a draft to operators if the tooling still encourages the use of
> SHA-1.

Then consider writing a draft that strongly discourages implementations from
encouraging or even being neutral about algorithms with SHA-1. That's much
easier to justify than "we want to hurt people who are currently signing with
DNSSEC".

> This problem should have been dealt with years ago, and now it needs to be
> treated as an emergency.

Dealing with an emergency by purposely harming the people who didn't follow
your earlier advice is an option, but not one that many of us would endorse.

--Paul Hoffman