Hi folks,

Paul Vixie, Ralph Dolmans, and I have submitted this I-D for
consideration:

   https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-huque-dnsop-ns-revalidation-01

I mentioned it on the dns-operati...@dns-oarc.net mailing
list last week, where the topic came up in another thread,
and there has already been some lively discussion about it
there. So we recommend reading the thread there:

https://lists.dns-oarc.net/pipermail/dns-operations/2020-April/020041.html

There is a range of different behaviors in resolver implementations
in this respect today, and it would be good if we could agree on
more commonality.

The main recommendations in the draft are to: (1) deterministically
prefer the authoritative child NS set over the non-authoritative,
unsigned, delegating NS set in the parent, (2) revalidate the parent
delegation at the expiration of the parent NS set TTL, to promptly
detect when the parent has re-delegated the zone elsewhere (or
removed the delegation).

These are not new ideas of course. They have been proposed in Vixie
et. al.'s resimprove draft from 2010, and Wouter Wijngaard's resolver
mitigations draft from 2009. The Unbound resolver already mostly
implements this with the 'harden-referral-path' configuration option.

Comments/discussion welcome.

Shumon, Paul, and Ralph.