On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 3:35 AM Mark Andrews <ma...@isc.org> wrote:
> > I have two problems with this proposal. First, it doesn't mention IPv4
> > vs IPv6 differences at all. In IPv4 landscape fragmentation, while a
> > security issue, is generally fine. In the IPv6 world, fragmentation is
> > disastrous - packets with extension headers are known to be dropped.
>
> Not really. UNKNOWN extensions tend to get dropped but the fragmentation
> header is a KNOWN extension header.

https://labs.apnic.net/presentations/store/2019-09-11-ipv6-fail.pdf

Slide 34 and 35 indicate, with IPv6:
 - 38% recursive resolvers fail to reassemble packets with
fragmentation extension header
 - 22% of browsers fail to process TCP packets with fragmentation header

This data is from 2017 - around that time I did similar experiments
with similar results. Delivery of fragmented packets in IPv6 sometimes
work, but this is more of an exception than a rule.

> > Second, this proposal assumes that path MTU detection works correctly.
> > This is surprisingly optimistic. Let's consider IPv6 - in IPv6 the
> > smaller path MTU < 1500 is very common.
>
> Which is why IPV6_USE_MIN_MTU exists (RFC 3542).  USE THE SOCKET OPTION.
> It was put there specifically to support DNS over UDP and other applications
> like that.  I know this as I proposed the predecessor option back in 1999
> which became IPV6_USE_MIN_MTU.

You are suggesting to always use at most 1280 byte packets in IPv6.
The draft we are discussing does not suggest that. Did I misunderstand
something?

Marek