> On 6 Aug 2020, at 02:05, Pieter Lexis <pieter.le...@powerdns.com> wrote:
>
> Hi folks,
>
> Section 2.4.1 says
>
> ```
> The primary purpose of AliasMode is to allow aliasing at the zone apex,
> where CNAME is not allowed. In AliasMode, TargetName MUST be the name of
> a domain that has SVCB, AAAA, or A records.
> ```
>
> and section 4.1 says
>
> ```
> When replying to a SVCB query, authoritative DNS servers SHOULD return
> A, AAAA, and SVCB records in the Additional Section for any in-bailiwick
> TargetNames.
> ```
>
> Does this mean that the processing differs from 'regular' in-zone CNAME
> processing? Where I define this processing as "look for the Target name
> with the type from the query and use that result's status as query result".
>
> Considering this zone (abbreviated):
>
> ```
> svcb-alias.example.net SVCB 0 alias-target.example.net
> alias-target.example.net A 192.0.2.1
> ```
>
> What would be the correct response to a svcb-alias.example.net|SVCB query?
>
> ```
> ;; QUESTION SECTION:
> ;svcb-alias.example.net.              IN      SVBC
>
> ;; ANSWER SECTION:
> svcb-alias.example.net.       3600    IN      SVBC    3600  0
> alias-target.example.net
> example.net.  IN      SOA     3600    [....]
>
> ;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
> alias-target.example.net. 3600        IN      A       192.0.2.1
>
> ```
>
> or
>

> ```
> ;; QUESTION SECTION:
> ;svcb-alias.example.net.              IN      SVBC
>
> ;; ANSWER SECTION:
> svcb-alias.example.net.       3600    IN      SVBC    3600  0
> alias-target.example.net
>
> ;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
> alias-target.example.net. 3600        IN      A       192.0.2.1
>
> ```

The second.

> With the former, implementers would be be able to reuse the existing
> aliasing code paths. With the latter, changes will have to be made to
> the codepath as the AliasMode is not a 'true' alias as CNAME is.

It isn’t an ALIAS.  Its a bad description that is the result of HTTP mis-using
the CNAME record for the last 20 odd years.  HTTP has always needed a "server
for" record like MX or SRV.  We just haven’t been able to get http developers
invested in the idea until now.

> In the same vein, what happens in a zone like this (with the same
> incoming query for svcb-alias.example.net|SVCB):
>
> ```
> svcb-alias.example.net SVCB 0 alias-target1.example.net
> alias-target1.example.net SVCB 0 alias-target2.example.net
> alias-target2.example.net SVCB 1 . ipv4hint=192.0.2.1
>
> alias-target2.example.net A 192.0.2.1
> ```
>
> Do *both* alias-target{1,2}.example.net|SVBC records end up in the
> ADDITIONAL section. Or are they (as is the case with an in-zone CNAME)
> considered an answer and should they go into the ANSWER section?

They go in the additional section.

> I find the alias mode semantics (on the DNS-level) unclear and
> under-specified in the draft. I look forward to guidance from the authors.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Pieter
>
> --
> Pieter Lexis