On Wed, Aug 05, 2020 at 01:04:22AM +0000, Paul Vixie wrote:
> On Tuesday, 4 August 2020 23:11:34 UTC Michael De Roover wrote:
>
> i borrowed the initiator/responder terminology from iSCSI, and it seems
> intuitive to me. this isn't a client/server situation, because a given host
> might be both a client and a server, in a multi-level transfer graph. we need
> terminology that describes the transaction, and not the host or hosts
> participating in that transaction. we stopped using requester/responder when
> the op codes stopped being limited to just QUERY and IQUERY and STATUS. (in
> other words, UPDATE is technically a request, but not notionally so.)
>
> what's your proposal?

As I said earlier, I think "primary" and "seconary" are well-enough
understood concepts now that we can describe roles in a particular
transaction with phrases like "acting as a primary" or "acting as a
secondary" and get the point across without much difficulty. But if
that's not acceptable, then maybe "transfer provider" and "transfer
recipient"?

--
Evan Hunt -- e...@isc.org
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.