> From: Tony Finch <d...@dotat.at>
> I recently noticed that the bailiwick-related definitions are wrong and
> muddled.
>
> I have always understood in-bailiwick to mean that a nameserver name is a
> subdomain of its zone apex. That is, exactly the cases where glue is
> required by the DNS protocol. The term comes from the discussion of
> gluelessness at http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/notes.html - "RFC 1034 specifically
> requires glue for referrals to in-bailiwick DNS servers."
>
> RFC 8499 seems to use "in-domain" for this situation

Yes.

Before RFC 8499, "in-bailiwick" had two meanings.
    in-bailiwick to mean that a nameserver name is a subdomain of its zone apex.
 and
    "in-domain" http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/notes.html

>, which is not a term
> I have seen anywhere else.

  Yes.
  I borrowed the words "in-domain" and "sibling" from
  draft-koch-dns-glue-clarifications.
  (submitted in 2010, draft only)

  There are no "in-bailiwick" and "out-of-bailiwick" definitions
  before RFC 7719.

  We need four types of glue names.
  In RFC 8499, "out-of-bailiwick", "in-bailiwick", "in-domain", "sibling".

  Please propose new names.

# And I missed a term related to domain name: Occluded Name [(RFC6936].

--
Kazunori Fujiwara, JPRS <fujiw...@jprs.co.jp>