On 7/7/21 7:54 PM, Warren Kumari wrote:
Obviously there is a tradeoff here -- privacy vs deployment.
1: while it's **possible** that there is a delegation point at the
underscore label, (IMO) it is unlikely. If there is no delegation, you
will simply be coming back to the same server again and again, and so
you are not leaking privacy sensitive information.

There are deployments with delegations at _openpgpkey, such as
_openpgpkey.posteo.de. This is how I would do such a deployment myself. As
there are only hashes exposed, I don't see a privacy issue if no QNAME
Minimization is done. (The point is that I would argue that such a delegation
points is not unlikely.)

Another example is _acme-challenge. About 0.1% of zones hosted at desec.io have
a delegation point there. (Ok, that's not very frequent.)

The draft for authenticated bootstrapping of DNSSEC delegations
(https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-thomassen-dnsop-dnssec-bootstrapping/)
does suggest a zone cut at an underscore name. However, that's not to say it
would be a privacy-relevant one, so it seems fine to me when QNAME Minimization
is not done in this case.

It is unclear whether the future will bring underscore labels under which
privacy-sensitive owner names may reside.

Should the advice above be strengthened to SHOULD / RECOMMENDED?

Especially because of the last reason above, I tend towards MAY.

However, I would endorse SHOULD / RECOMMENDED if the wording is changed such that "skipping a
split" is done "up to the lowest-level" underscore label. In other words, jumping from
example.com to _25._tcp.example.com would be RECOMMENDED, but jumping from example.com to
foobar._openpgpkey.example.com would not, because "foobar" is no an underscore label. Generally, if
there are N consecutive underscore labels, minimization SHOULD be skipped for the N-1 of them which are
closest to the root.

Cheers,
Peter

--
Like our community service? 💛
Please consider donating at

https://desec.io/

deSEC e.V.
Kyffhäuserstr. 5
10781 Berlin
Germany

Vorstandsvorsitz: Nils Wisiol
Registergericht: AG Berlin (Charlottenburg) VR 37525