On Wed, 2021-10-06 at 16:47 -0700, Eric Rescorla wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> We've been trying to take some measurements of the success of endpoint
> DNSSEC validation and run into some confusion about the implications
> of the DO and CD bits. Sorry if these are dumb questions.

Not dumb questions!

> Summarizing all this, I have the following table of what the stub
> should expect to receive if the recursive is a validating resolver and
> it asks for an A record (just as an example)
>

> Bits set         Records valid        Records invalid
> None             A + ???                        Error
> DO               A + DNSSEC                     Error
> CD               A + ???                      A + ???
> DO + CD          A + DNSSEC                A + DNSSEC
>
> Where "A + DNSSEC" means "A + plus the DNSSEC records" and "A + ???"
> means "A + maybe some DSNSSEC records depending on what the recursive
> wants".

Looks right to me. I'd expect no DNSSEC records in your "???" cases.

During the implementation of DNSSEC validation in the PowerDNS Recursor we also
found that it's impossible to make sense of it all without laying out all
permutations. Here's a table Pieter Lexis built around that time (it has
different dimensions than yours, but given your initial understandable
confusion, maybe you want to read it and see if anything surprises you):
https://doc.powerdns.com/recursor/dnssec.html#what-when

Kind regards,
--
Peter van Dijk