Authoritative servers should take NO SPECIAL BEHAVIOUR for .onion.

The default behaviour of an authoritative server is fine be it REFUSED,
NOTAUTH, NXDOMAIN (when they have a copy of the root zone) or a referral
to the root.

Recursive servers are a different kettle of fish.

Mark

> On 1 Dec 2021, at 12:10, Paul Vixie <paul=40redbarn....@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:
>

> Ted Lemon wrote on 2021-11-30 17:04:
>> I don’t see how any answer from an authoritative server other than REFUSED
>> really makes sense for a domain for which that server is not authoritative.
>> It hasn’t failed. It’s been asked a bogus question. It doesn’t make sense
>> for it to theorize that it might be misconfigured.
>
> i only use REFUSED if the same question from some other query source (by IP)
> or signed differently (with TSIG or SIG(0)) could possibly work. for
> out-of-authority requests, the server must fail to answer.

Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742              INTERNET: ma...@isc.org