> On 22 Jun 2022, at 00:07, John Levine <jo...@taugh.com> wrote:
>
> It appears that  <rube...@nic.br> said:
>> -=-=-=-=-=-
>>

>> Hi.
>>
>> During a meeting today of ROW (https://regiops.net), the I-D on CDS
>> bootstrapping by using a DNSSEC-signed name at name server
>> zone
>> (https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-dnssec-bootstrapping/)
>> was discussed.
>> In that discussion, it was mentioned that the current draft only supports
>> out-of-bailiwick name servers; I replied that the
>> same principle could be applied to in-bailiwick name server by usage of the
>> reverse DNS zones for IPv4 and IPv6.
>
> Urrgh. In principle, you can put anything you want in a reverse zone.
> (Send mail to jo...@18.183.57.64.in-addr.arpa. and it'll work.)

That's my recollection as well, but as the saying goes, code is law. Although
in this case only registry/registrar and DNS operator are required to
interoperate for the bootstrapping process.

> In practice, I doubt that enough reverse zones are signed or that the
> provisoning crudware that people use for reverse zones would work
> often enough to be worth trying to do this. I did some surveys of
> zones and found that in-bailiwick NS are quite uncommon, only a few
> percent of the ones in large gTLDs.

I don't expect the IP space used for DNS servers to be managed thru an IPAM
system of sorts. But if one is used, it's unlikely they provision a zone-cut as
required in the draft.

The prevalence among the overall DNS system is indeed low, but I wonder what %
this represents within services that allow all of DNSSEC, CDS Bootstrapping and
in-bailiwick DNS servers, like Business and Enterprise plans in Cloudflare:
https://developers.cloudflare.com/dns/additional-options/custom-nameservers/
<https://developers.cloudflare.com/dns/additional-options/custom-nameservers/> .

Or if supporting this type of DNS servers can help the adoption of this draft
for the 99.9% use case of out-of-bailiwick servers. If not, we could be adding
a new piece to the DNS Camel...

Rubens