On 6/27/22 22:05, John Levine wrote:
But there is a
great deal of software that expects the names it uses to look like
hostnames, and won't work with anything else.

The software for new applications which would use a _foo pseudo-TLD namespace is not yet written.
It is for future applications, for which we can hope to push TLD-like use of things like
"onion" into namespaces like "_onion".

Of course, for Tor, it is not feasible because that software is written, and
(more importantly) those .onion names are already out there.

I see no reason why, if Tor was started today, the software written for it
should not be able to support _onion, if that was the BCP for doing it. Tor
software would be written for that purpose at the time. Or am I missing
something here?

The argument for *.alt
is that if ICANN sells another round of vanity TLDs, as seems
depressingly likely, here's a hostname we promise won't have new name
collisions.

IMO the promise of "this name will never be delegated, thus have no DNS collisions"
delivers a thing quite different from an as-close-as-possible alternative to a TLD namespace. In
other words, it's not as tailored a solution for people who are currently "squatting"
TLDs.

Really, if they're not using the DNS, what's going on is not squatting. It's
just a semantic collision of dotted strings, that's it.

This is why I wrote that DNS is not necessarily the primary naming system, depending on
perspective. When thinking about such other naming schemes, we should give up the
DNS-centric view of "squattable namespace property". Pushing alternative naming
schemes down one level, reserving the top level for DNS stuff, seems like a rather cocky
attitude.

Still, a no-collision name at the top level may be useful, namely in situations
where a collision-free letter-only top label is needed. That may be a
worthwhile purpose, but it does not cater to the same needs.

I'm not implying how common the needs for _*-style names would be. It's just that the claimed need
for "alt" to be used for alternative naming schemes mounted into the second level is not
as close to a first-class citizen naming scheme as it could be. (The "alt" draft is
exclusively about such non-DNS contexts; the first sentence of the abstract already says so.) I
think it is better addressed with a closer-to-TLD approach.

If alternative naming scheme communities don't accept such a TLD-reminiscent
proposal, then perhaps there is no solution at all.

But I don't recall ever seeing anyone squatting on a name that isn't
a hostname.  This should give us a hint.
It may well be that it just tells us that this hasn't been thought of before.
Think of QUIC -- it wouldn't have been fair 10 years ago to say that nobody has
done it, so it's not a good idea.

Thanks,
Peter

--