Hi,

FWIW our draft [1] which is currently in IESG conflict review is related to
this "issue".
Namely, the question of namespace ambiguity is discussed in it [2] as we were
unable to register a Special-Use TLD in the past [3] (as some of you may
remember).
There already have been discussions with the ISE regarding this property as
well.
We currently see three options for our draft:

1. Leave it as is since it is an "informational" document and describes the
current implementation, possibly leading to a negative conflict review response
(?).
2. Use a special-use TLD (which would need to be requested again as per RFC
6761 with uncertain outcome).
3. Use this approach although I am not particularly happy with the lack of a
registry for the labels beneath ALT and the resulting length of the names.

To me, the purpose of this draft is a bit unclear if RFC6761 exists and can be
followed and (at least in theory) we could just have special-use TLDs for
alternative name systems (see 2.).

OTOH, although possibly a bit of sacrilege here, maybe it is also a chance to
think about a "DNS-NG".
New alternative name systems may be specified and tested without a hard
requirement on sub-namespaces, but a soft-requirement for namespace unambiguity
within their deployments.
Because possibly/eventually they may be able to replace the current DNS and
resolve its names.
For our draft, the question is if a special TLD must/should be specified along
with the protocol specification or if we can just discuss namespace ambiguity
and possibly use a "temporary" deployment and testing namespace (e.g. "gns.alt"
or "whatever you want but beware the DNS dragons").

BR
Martin

[1] https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-schanzen-gns/
[2]