Ray Bellis wrote on 2022-08-15 11:08:
On 15/08/2022 18:55, Paul Vixie wrote:

if IETF decides at this late (2022) date to reserve part of the domain style namespace for non-udp/53 non-tcp/53 uses, nothing will break. that helps me understand the open ended _effective_ intent of STD-13, which is to build roads not walls -- in the best tradition of the Internet.

I have no problem with ".alt" being carved out like that, it's the potential proliferation of a multitude of such carve-outs that bothers me.

i think all of us have been squeamish about proliferation of carve-outs, which is one reason Jon Postel gave me when i asked him in ~1985 for a carve-out for .UUCP -- and while i disagreed at the time i have come around to his point of view on the matter.

I also suspect that those specs that need it will in pratice be unable to co-exist unless each such namespace then gets its own "sub-domain" under .alt (e.g. .gns.alt).

of course i meant that each such namespace would get its own "sub-domain" under .alt (e.g., .GNS.ALT). according to david, these won't lead to a "land rush" because it would look like a "naming ghetto". i'm not concerned about lack of popularity, only whether we (IETF) have supplied some mechanism for domain style naming evolution. if someone later comes up with a better mechanism we can consider it. we need "something" and warren's .ALT draft is "something".

Maybe there'll be an opportunity for having "real" domain names that effect a namespace switch via a DNAME or CNAME record into .alt? ;)

i think that's inevitable, and i expect to see development of a new RR type which can be placed at the apex of "example.com" telling some parameters for use of a .EXAMPLE.ALT "sub-domain". the IETF is not the protocol experimentation police unless some definite prediction of harm becomes the consensus. DNSOP in particular has an "if you want to do this, here is one way" rubric for its work. (see EDNS Client Subnet.)

--
P Vixie