Schanzenbach, Martin wrote on 2022-08-15 11:49:
 So, from my authors hat, I would appreciate FCFS; ideally also existing
 RFC/Other Specification + Implementation(s) for a registration in the
 registry.

"existing RFC" means all alternative name resolutions have to flow
through either the IETF or ISE. That is not something the IETF would
want to take on I think.

"Other specification" would likely lead to many copy & paste drafts
based on the first draft that is used to get an entry in .alt, with
only the name changed.

If an implementation is required, we will see many github forks with
just a name change.

Meanwhile, IANA will have to host 60M entries in the .alt registry.

I guess we could prevent draft--alt-name-cocacola if we consult the
Trademark Clearing House, but maybe this is a clear signal that we
are turning the IETF into ICANN and it is time to take a step^Wleap
back.

The IETF cannot bear the burden of managing or policing a non-IETF
namespace war, even handling a FCFS registry will take too many
resources.

Paul W