Hi Peter,

On 04/11/2022 00:52, Peter Thomassen wrote:

On 11/3/22 17:44, Benno Overeinder wrote:
Questions:

1b.  Does this also mean changing the definition of "out-of-bailiwick"
      to a more historical definition as well?  Or do we still need a
      term for in-domain name server, sibling domain name server and ...
      (alternative for out-of-bailiwick)?

      Is "unrelated name server" a term that can be used?
I think "unrelated name server" is easy to misunderstand, as the term is unclear about what kind of relation it refers to. For example, a naive interpretation of an "unrelated" nameserver may be a sibling nameserver that is operated by another (unrelated) DNS provider. I would think that such misunderstandings will be frequent when this term is introduced.

Think about various degrees of relationship, the following observation occurred to me.

- in-domain nameservers are, in a sense, related to the 0th order (no delegations not shared between zone and NS),

- sibling nameservers are related to 1st order (one delegation not shared, namely the one from the parent to the NS zone),

- out-of-bailiwick nameservers are related to 2nd or higher order (example.com with ns1.example.net has 2 delegations not shared, namely the net delegation and the example.net delegation).

One possible would thus be to establish terminology in terms of n-th order. E.g., sibling NS is a "1st-order foreign delegation NS" or something like that. -- I'm aware this sounds very bumpy, and it's simply what just occurred to me, not at all thought through.

I'm also not trying to crash the interim results, just sharing the observation. If not helpful, ignore. :)

Thank you for your input and your suggestion to come up with a more specific terminology for the "historical" out-of-bailiwick term. In the definition of in-domain and sibling domain, you suggest using the 0th and 1st order in the definition? And for out-of-bailiwick use a term like "2nd+ order nameservers"?

I'd love to hear from other DNSOP participants if there is any support for Peter or any other suggestions for a good, more specific alternative term for out-of-bailiwick?

-- Benno