On 16/02/2023 12:52, Dick Franks wrote:

The last statement is informatively and normatively mistaken.
The counterexample is to be found in RFC8490(5.4):

   A DSO message begins with the standard twelve-byte DNS message header
   [RFC1035] with the OPCODE field set to the DSO OPCODE (6).  However,
   unlike standard DNS messages, the question section, answer section,
   authority records section, and additional records sections are not
   present.  The corresponding count fields (QDCOUNT, ANCOUNT, NSCOUNT,
   ARCOUNT) MUST be set to zero on transmission.

Good spot, Dick, and one I admit I'd forgotten about, which as a co-author of RFC 8490 is slightly embarrassing!

However for OPCODE 0 (QUERY) the assertion still remains valid.

Ray