Wait, so if my cache does this and I change nothing, it silently turns NXDOMAIN
into NOERROR? That is badly broken.Sent from my Galaxy
-------- Original message --------From: Shumon Huque <shu...@gmail.com> Date:
3/15/23  07:48  (GMT-05:00) To: Ralf Weber <d...@fl1ger.de> Cc: John R Levine
<jo...@taugh.com>, dnsop@ietf.org, pe...@desec.io Subject: Re: [DNSOP] Updated:
Compact Denial of Existence Precisely,  but it can still work if the signal is
used in a hop by hop fashion.So, if a resolver sends EDNS CompactAnswersOK
signal to an authority server, which returns a NODATA+NXNAME proof + RCODE=3
response, then the resolver would have to intelligently manage that answer in
its cache. To downstream DO=1 queriers that also set CompactAnswersOK, it could
return that answer as is. To those that don't, it would have to reset the RCODE
to NOERROR. This imposes more complexity on the resolver implementation of
course, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work - and it would be
optional anyway. Clients that want to see the NXDOMAIN signal in the RCODE
might push their resolver service to implement it.Shumon.