On 03Apr23, Viktor Dukhovni apparently wrote:

> I believe that the most natural perspective is from the view point of a
> resolver attempting to classify a (non?)response to a query sent to an
> authoritative server.

It is certainly true that a resolver detects a lame delegation and has to deal
with the
consequences. Conversely, the cause of a lame delegation is an administration
error by the
domain owner or their authoritative minions.

That seems like two sides of the same coin.

I like the notion of "non productive" or no progress being made. Ignoring
transient errors
and things like RRL, if a resolver makes a query which doesn't move it closer
to resolving
the QNAME then that seems to be the most general definition of "lame".

In other words, "lame" means nothing more than an imperfect configuration which
causes
resolver angst.

Do we have anything more precise than that?

Mark.