“If none of the name servers in the delegating NS RRset responds with an
authoritative answer for the zone delegated then that zone has a lame
delegation. If a name server cannot be resolved into an IP address or cannot be
reached of UDP port 53 then that is, for this definition, equal to not respond
with an authoritative answer.”

Sometime a cached delegation becomes lame when the NS RRset is fetched from the
zone, and none of the name servers in the zone NS RRset responds with an
authoritative answer.

If “lame delegation” is defined in such a way that it is enough with one
failing name server in the delegation, the term becomes less useful. DNS
usually forgives one failing name server.

Yours,
Mats

---
Mats Dufberg
mats.dufb...@internetstiftelsen.se<mailto:mats.dufb...@internetstiftelsen.se>
Technical Expert
Internetstiftelsen (The Swedish Internet Foundation)
Mobile: +46 73 065 3899
https://internetstiftelsen.se/