Thanks a lot George for your comments.
About this suggestion:

On 14:29 27/04, George Michaelson wrote:
> It's a debug tool. It isn't going to be something I expect to use, but
> I like the idea if something goes awry in the responses I am seeing I
> can ask the authority to tell me what SOA serial I should expect to
> see, that has the response state they're giving me for the specific
> query. Thats distinct from ZONEMD which is a DNSSEC signed state of an
> entire zone (assuming it can be done) which is a different class of
> check on zone state related to serial. I like both. They're different.
> That said, you COULD point to ZONEMD in this one in the security
> considerations, but I wouldnt make it normative. It's just another way
> to check the state of a zone.

You're right that we can better state the differences with ZONEMD.
What do you think of adding a paragraph like this in the security
considerations?

   "Please note that ZONEVERSION option can not be used for checking
   the correctness of an entire zone in a server. For such cases, the
   ZONEMD record [RFC8976] might be better suited at such task.
   ZONEVERSION can help identify and correlate a certain specific
   answer with a version of a zone, but it has no special integrity or
   verification function besides a normal field value inside a zone, as
   stated above."

Thanks,

Hugo