Back in 1995 when I took over the management of CO.ZA from Mike Lawrie, his strong suggestion was to only add properly functioning delegations to the Zone File - so that is what we did. Why add delegations that are broken to the working parent?

As a Registrar - if I am not providing the DNS for a Domain - then I have checks on my side to see if the Nameservers are working before sending them on to the Parent registry.

I also have a "Reservation" or Free service so that people can register a domain (using my Nameservers) but the domain is "read-only" on my side (no one can change any of the zone file contents). Point being - the delegation works if sent to a parent.

This all works fine.

In addition - I also manage the EDU.ZA and ALT.ZA zone files. These are both small zones and use the Registry/Registrant model (2 x R). Apart from running CDS checks, I also run weekly (Monday early morning) Nameserver checks so will see when things break and then email the domain owner of the event. Consequently - the two parent zones are pretty clean.

--

Mark James ELKINS  -  Posix Systems - (South) Africa
m...@posix.co.za       Tel: +27.826010496 <tel:+27826010496>

Posix SystemsVCARD for MJ Elkins