On Tue, 20 Jun 2023, Peter Thomassen wrote:

 My thoughts on this as in how to decide who does what, is...

 in EPP, there is a section that I've coded to look like...

 The usual drop downs are Yes/No and may require a reason

 Create a new action, "DS Managed by", give it three options....
 Y=the registrY should manage the CDS scanning (Polling whatever)
 R=the registraR should manage...
 N=Implicit management by the Registrar.
This would be a change / an extension to the EPP protocol, correct?

If so, there's probably not much DNSOP can do about it, but if I'm not mistaken, the REGEXT WG is chartered to address such things.

Yes that would be REGEXT.

But I don't think this will help either. It's default would have to
depend on the registry capability, and then on the registrar capability.
That doesn't help the DNS Hoster if it is not the Registrar as well.

That is why we are having this problem to begin with. We want DNS
Hosters to be able to be the authoritative source of DS, because
too many registrars aren't implementing C*

There was also a proposal/draft in REGEXT that would allow the Registry
to notify the Registrar if a CDS was changed via polling/registry direct
communication. I'm not sure if that ever made it to RFC though.

Paul