On 14 Nov 2023, at 14:43, Philip Homburg <pch-dnso...@u-1.phicoh.com> wrote:

> I don't really know what ECS looks like from an authoritative point of view.
> How is that kind of data distributed from a primary to secondaries?

An authoritative server that receives information about an end-user in the form
of an ECS EDNS(0) option might provide responses that differ depending on what
that information is. The definition and distribution of the policy that defines
those differences is not standardised; this is "enterprise DNS" special sauce.

I have seen policy data encoded into zone data; in other cases it has been
separate from zone data, or distributed in way that does not use any kind of
DNS wire encoding until a response is constructed in response to a specific
query. I have not seen any particular consistency in approach that has
suggested to me that standardisation is possible, except in an XKCD-927 sense.

I don't know that it's possible to describe a standardised proxy of the kind I
think you're putting forward (haven't read your draft, beyond the abstract,
sorry) that can accommodate this kind of functionality while the functionality
is so provider-specific. It would be nice if it wasn't.

Joe