> On 14 Feb 2024, at 14:47, Edward Lewis <edward.le...@icann.org> wrote:
>
> I raise the key tag issue in the sense of "let's not do this again" and not
> to try to change what it is now.  Clearly, changing it (to avoid collisions)
> would be difficult.  And, given the relative rarity of any problem stemming
> from it, not worth fixing at this point.  Just don't do it again.

I agree with Ed. [Shock! Horror!] The long tail of DNS implementations means
retro-fixing this vulnerability will be awkward. Key tag collisions are
unlikely to cause a major problem. So let’s not repeat this mistake/oversight
in new protocol work and move on.

That said, I think a minor tweak to the core DNSSEC specs would be a good idea.
For instance, whenever a validator comes across a key tag collision, it MUST
stop validating and either return a hard error or an unvalidated response.

My concern here is a bad actor using key tag collisions to disrupt important
validating resolver services. For some definition of important.