The problem with key tag collisions is that you turn verify operations from 1
per RRset to 1.5 per RRset for a two RRSIGS with the same tag and algorithm.
You can figure out the average number of verify operations with 3, 4 etc.
Those extra verify operations are completely avoidable by rejecting a new key
which would cause a key tag collision. Generating a new key is not hard to do.
Adding a check against the common key store is not hard to do in a multi-signer
scenario.  It can be completely automated.  Request the set of in use tags.
Generate a new key that doesn’t collide. Try to reserve the new key tag. Repeat
if necessary.

We could even use the DNS and UPDATE to do that. Records with tuples of
algorithm, tag and operator. Grab the current RRset. Add it as a prerequisite
with a update for the new tag.

--
Mark Andrews