On 20 Feb 2024, at 12:38, Niall O'Reilly <niall.orei...@ucd.ie> wrote:

> I think it would help, for completeness, and the better
> to support the inexperienced reader of the DNS scriptures,
> to include mention of RFC5936 (AXFR) in the "brief summary
> of the guidance provided in the existing DNS specification"
> contained in Appendix A.

That is some good, arcane DNS knowledge right there, Niall, I like it!

> Perhaps the following text, modelled on the existing mention
> of DNS Cookies [RFC7873], would suit.
>
> DNS Zone Transfer Protocol (AXFR) [RFC5936]
> in Section 2.2 allows an authoritative server optionally
> to send a response message (QR = 1) to a standard query
> (OpCode = 0) with QDCOUNT = 0, in a message which is the
> second or subsequent message of a multi-message response.

Perhaps it's worth making it even more clear that this is just a provision for
AXFR responses by specifying the QTYPE? Something like:

   DNS Zone Transfer Protocol (AXFR) [RFC5936] in Section 2.2 allows
   an authoritative server optionally to send a response message
   (QR = 1) to a standard AXFR query (OpCode = 0, QTYPE=252) with
   QDCOUNT = 0 in the second or subsequent message of a multi-message
   response.

Without that extra clue I had to scuttle off to look at the original text to
make sure this was not some general multi-message response case introduced in a
dark corner that I was not aware of. Knowing that it only relates to AXFR
helped. I realise the whole paragraph spells out what the reference is to, but
it surely wouldn't be the first time that some protocol-wide clarification was
found hiding behind the curtain in the spare room.

Joe