I see several different directions this could go that might be useful.

1. "DNS at the 99th percentile"

Rather than normatively declare limits on things like NS count or CNAME chain
length, it would be interesting to measure behaviors out in the real world.
How long can your CNAME chain be before resolution failure rates exceed 1%?
How many NS records or RRSIGs can you add before 99% of resolvers won't try
them all?

2. "DNS Lower Limits"

Similar to the current draft, but a change of emphasis: instead of setting
upper bounds on the complexity of zones, focus on setting lower bounds on the
capability of resolvers.

3. "DNS Intrinsic Limits"

Given the existing limits in the protocol (e.g. 64 KB responses, 255 octet
names), document the extreme cases that might be challenging to resolve.  This
could be used to create a live test suite, allowing implementors to confirm
that their resolvers scale to the worst-case scenarios.

4. "DNS Proof of Work"

In most of these cases, the concern is that a hostile stub can easily request
resolution of a pathological domain, resulting in heavy load on the recursive
resolver.  This is a problem of asymmetry: the stub does much less work than
the resolver in each transaction.  We could compensate for this by requiring
the stub to increase the amount of work that it does.  For example, we could

* Recommend that resolvers limit the amount of work they will do for UDP
queries, returning TC=1 when the limit is reached.
* Create a system where stubs pad their UDP query packets to prevent
reflection-amplification attacks.
* Develop a novel proof-of-work extension, e.g. a continuation system that
requires the stub to reissue heavy queries several times before getting the
answer.

--Ben