To,
His Excellency President of Federal Republic of Switzerland,
Through, Swiss Ambassador to India

Thanking you for prompt response with references to my Letter and
Email both dated 29th (date of letter changed by pen as 29th) April
2005 through Ms. Ruchita Jindal on behalf of the Swiss Ambassador to
India accompanying a the official policy in the form of the
transcript of a speech delivered by Ambassador Jacques de
Watteville, Head of the Economic and Financial Affairs Division of
the Swiss Federal Department of Foreign Affairs, at the Swiss Press
Club, Geneva, on 23rd January 2002. From the said transcript
Switzerland equally shown its concerns, with certain reservations,
on the issues raised by me in my aforesaid letter. The aforesaid
letter and complete transcript in proper order are posted at:
http://milapchoraria.tripod.com/swiss

In view of the aforesaid transcript, in principle Swiss Government
is against illegal money deposits, in Swiss Banks, by the Money
launders, Political or other corrupt practitioners and Tax Evaders
and already providing co-operation in judicial matters. At the same
time Switzerland claimed new financial centers in different
countries providing protective laws for deposit of illegal money. In
view of such important admission from the Switzerland, though with
certain reservations, before review of my decision to sit on un-
definite fast at out side Swiss embassy, I will be happy if the
Government of Switzerland provide following details which are in
accordance its commitments in principle through aforesaid
transcript:-
1.      Volume of the Total Money deposited from India in
Switzerland Banks (As per rumors prevailing in India CVC estimated
such amount about Sixteen Lakhs of Crores of Rupees equal to $US 400
Billion Dollars)?
2.      After applying the principle of "know-your-customer",
whether Switzerland Banks estimated the volume of amount not relates
to "know-your-customer"-principles?, if so kindly specify volume
such amounts from India.
3.      Who will be beneficiary country in respect of the money
deposited in violation of the "know-your-customer"-principles?
Whether such money is transferred to the country of origin from such
deposits arrived or frozen by the Switzerland Government and
deposited in its consolidated fund?
4.      Switzerland Government is already providing Judicial co-
operation, but in accordance with its commitment with International
Treaties, concept of globlisation and newly developed and adopted by
various countries the "Right to Information"-principle, why not
sharing information with the Government of countries wherefrom money
is coming in the Switzerland Banks?

I hope that answer of these questions by the Switzerland will be
within the admitted principles by the Switzerland.

With Best Regards,

(MILAP  CHORARIA)
Convenor : Movement for Accountability to Public (MAP)  :
Columnist : For Several DAILY Newspapers in India
Author: A MODEL OF NEW CONSTITUTION FOR INDIA
B-5/52, Sector-7,
Rohini,

New Delhi-110 085     Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Following important extracts obtained from the aforesaid transcript
are forwarded by the Switzerland Government:-

"Switzerland's banking secrecy does not protect terrorists, nor does
it protect criminal organizations or criminal activities of any
nature whatsoever. In such cases, Switzerland does not hesitate to
offer international co-operation in judicial matters and to freeze
incriminated assets."

"Beyond the adoption of international agreements and appropriate
legislation, it is of course also essential that the political will
exists to implement them thoroughly - and this is certainly the case
in Switzerland."

"Switzerland has also launched initiatives aimed at bringing about a
more coherent response at the international level in cases of this
sort. For example, it proposed specific precautionary measures to
the Committee of Basle (consolidated supervision of banks) and the
FATF concerning the opening of accounts for "politically exposed
figures"."

"Switzerland contributed a number of specific proposals aimed at
reinforcing international co-operation, improving the application of
sanctions and ensuring better control of their implementation."

"Switzerland outlawed the laundering of money of unlawful origin in
Article 305 of the Swiss Penal Code in 1990, and passed a separate
law on money laundering that came into effect in April 1998. The
latter introduced an obligation that is applicable throughout the
banking sector and extends to all financial intermediaries, to
report any suspicions of unlawful transactions. These provisions are
rounded off by the directives of the Federal Banking Commission.
Furthermore, the revision of the Federal Law on International Mutual
Assistance in Criminal Matters, which came into effect in February
1997, considerably simplified the process of mutual legal
assistance. It greatly shortens the duration of implementation
procedures by limiting the possibilities of appeal and narrowing the
circle of persons entitled to appeal. An evaluation of Switzerland
carried out by the FATF in 1998 confirmed that our country's
legislation aimed at combating the laundering of money of criminal
origin is among the most advanced in the world."

"Switzerland is in favour of tough multilateral efforts aimed at
preventing the unlawful use of the world's financial centres by
criminal organisations. We are offering our fullest co-operation at
the international level. We welcomed the adoption of UN Security
Council Resolution 1373 on the fight against terrorism and took
steps to secure its swift implementation. Already in June 2001, we
signed the United Nations Convention for the Suppression of
Terrorist Financing, which we will ratify as quickly as possible."

"It is also crucial that financial intermediaries in both the
banking and non-banking sectors thoroughly verify their client
relationships in order to better identify suspicious circumstances
and elements. In this connection, strict observation of the "know-
your-customer"-principles is of the utmost importance. Swiss
legislation on fighting money laundering stipulates that all
financial intermediaries - not just banks and certain other
institutions - who suspect that a given client may be involved in
money laundering are obliged to notify the relevant authorities and
immediately block the assets of the client concerned."

"Switzerland will not tolerate the use of its financial system by
terrorists for committing criminal acts; we introduced the necessary
measures many years ago to prevent it from being used to finance
terrorist activities. In accordance with our legislation governing
international judicial co-operation and the international treaties
we have signed, Switzerland co-operates fully in the investigation
of international criminal activities. Our banks are obliged by law
to provide information of any nature relating to criminal
investigations if requested to do so by the judiciary authorities."

"Targeted economic sanctions ("smart sanctions")"
"In order to develop the substantial work that was already
accomplished in Interlaken (http://www.smartsanctions.ch) and put
the new concept into practice, the Swiss government in co-operation
with the Watson Institute for International Studies (Brown
University, USA) conducted more in-depth studies. These gave rise to
a manual outlining the concept and detailing how targeted financial
sanctions
could be implemented. The document was submitted to the UN Security
Council in New York last October."

"We are the first country to have extended the scope of application
of this assessment to include its legislation against money
laundering, and this clearly underscores our active commitment to
the fight against unlawful use of the global financial system."

"Switzerland has submitted various specific proposals of its own,
and is supporting others, aimed at improving the practical
application of the "know your customer" rule. In particular, we feel
that the procedures for identifying bank clients should be extended
to include financial beneficiaries as well as clients who are the
bank's contact person. Throughout the world, banks should not be
content to simply accept official documents such as extracts from
commercial registers concerning legal entities or fiduciary
companies, but instead need to obtain sound information concerning
those persons who effectively control the assets concerned. This
particularly applies to bank clients acting through professional
intermediaries (lawyers or fiduciary representatives), or who use
legal entities, front companies or trusts. Furthermore, it is
essential that these regulations apply to both the banking and non-
banking sectors - all the more so under the present circumstances in
which international terrorist organisations have sophisticated
financial networks at their disposal that include fiduciary
companies, front firms and charity foundations."

"Corruption: Another aspect of financial crime that has gained in
importance in the international arena over the past few years is
corruption. This can largely be explained through an awareness of
the severity of the problem, its negative impacts on the progress of
numerous developing countries or nations in transition, and the
necessity to bring those efforts to completion that have been
initiated by the international community to combat organised crime
and money laundering."

"Furthermore, it has to be noted that severe cases of corruption are
frequently associated with the problem of illicit funds deposited by
leading political figures (e.g. heads of state). Switzerland is
actively involved in the fight against corruption, both at home and
in the international arena. We played a major role in the
formulation of the 1999 OECD Convention on Combating Bribery of
Foreign Public Officials in International Business Transactions. The
workgroup was chaired by Professor Mark Pieth (University of Basle),
while the negotiations group was presided over by a Swiss diplomat,
Ambassador Marino Baldi. Switzerland has already ratified this
convention and accordingly amended its Penal Code, thereby outlawing
bribery of foreign public officials in international business
transactions. On 26 February 2001, Switzerland also signed the
Council of Europe Criminal Law Convention on Corruption which
includes clauses governing the responsibility of legal entities.
Finally, Switzerland is pursuing its commitment within the framework
of a future United Nations convention to combat corruption, work on
which was initiated in Vienna on 21 January."

"It soon became apparent that major financial centers and banks in a
large number of countries are exposed to this problem. These two
seminars presented an opportunity to exchange findings with respect
to the prevention of such activities, the tracing and freezing of
accounts and the return of stolen assets, as well as to discuss
questions relating to immunity on the part of heads of state. They
also supported the ongoing search for concerted solutions at the
international level, as well as the activities within international
fora such as the Committee of Basle and the FATF."

"Tax offences: Some of our arguments have meanwhile entered the
international debate. The OECD report on improving access to bank
information for tax purposes, which was approved in March 2000
following intense negotiations, explicitly acknowledges the
legitimacy of the principle of confidentiality and proposes a number
of measures aimed at combating fiscal crime more effectively.
Switzerland approved this report. We are prepared to provide
administrative assistance in cases of tax fraud by means of
amendments to bilateral agreements on double taxation. Several
bilateral negotiations are presently in course to achieve this goal."

"However, Switzerland does not intend to participate in a system
that calls for an automatic exchange of information."

"Switzerland has absolutely no interest whatsoever in allowing its
territory to be used for such activities, and we have been taking
measures over the past few years that have practically put an end to
trafficking across our borders. We are willing to find solutions,
together with the EU and its member states, in order to even more
effectively combat fraud involving the movement of goods. In order
to achieve this goal, we have proposed to provide the EU with
increased administrative and judicial co-operation in cases
involving subsidy fraud, organised smuggling and, potentially, other
organised illegal activities involving indirect taxes or subsidies
and which are associated with international movements of goods. Both
the EU and Switzerland are of the opinion that direct taxation
should not be included in negotiations concerning customs fraud."

"The Swiss Financial center: The developments on the international
scene that are aimed at promoting a broader exchange of information
cannot be separated from the fact that any easing of the observation
of confidentiality in Switzerland would certainly be welcomed by
various rival financial centres, which would be only too happy to
welcome certain assets currently deposited in our country. In this
context, in which significant economic interests are involved and
arguments of an ethical nature raised, it should be pointed out that
a number of countries of the OECD have offshore financial centres
within their zones of influence, and which have been gaining rapidly
in importance over the past few years. Other countries benefit from
legislation that grants an even higher degree of confidentiality
than Swiss legislation."

"Furthermore it should also be emphasised that Switzerland applies
the principle of "know your customer" very rigorously, and contrary
to the claims made in countless crime novels and thrillers, there
are no "anonymous accounts" in Switzerland. And, unlike Switzerland,
some countries of the OECD do not appear to efficiently co-operate
in the area of international judicial assistance. It is essential
that these principles are duly applied at the international level in
a coherent manner."

"With all due respect to Mr. Arnaud Montebourg, Switzerland is
certainly not an ideal location for washing money of criminal
origin. Our preventive measures are among the most rigorous
anywhere, cases that are detected are pursued with the utmost
severity, the assets concerned are immediately frozen and banks at
fault are openly penalised. A variety of criticisms and clichés in
circulation concerning Switzerland's financial centre are therefore
either false or inaccurate."

"However, other financial centres are endeavouring to enhance their
competitive edge, too, and are meeting with success. This means that
the Swiss authorities need to adapt and improve the framework
conditions, while the banks themselves have to set out to enhance
their services and performance."

"Conclusions: To conclude, I want to emphasise that Switzerland is
fully aware of its responsibilities as an international financial
centre. In view of the challenges posed by globalisation and
technological developments, the reinforcement of multilateral co-
operation is absolutely essential. Switzerland is therefore actively
involved in the framing of new international regulations aimed at
securing the sound operation of financial markets, and in particular
at combating financial crime. We have also launched a number of
initiatives aimed at enhancing the effectiveness of the
international fight against money laundering, financing of terrorism
and corruption."

"Within the framework of ongoing international negotiations, in
particular with the EU and within the OECD, Switzerland will
safeguard its legitimate interests firmly and resolutely. We want to
improve the framework conditions for the financial centre still
further, taking the importance of safeguarding the private sphere of
individual citizens and meeting the needs of financial institutions
fully into account."

"The Swiss authorities will further upgrade their capacity to combat
any abuse of the Swiss financial centre. At the same time, they
expect all financial institutions to act in a manner that is beyond
reproach. It is only by securing an exemplary reputation and
enhancing its competitive capacity still further that Switzerland
will be able to effectively deal with mounting turbulences and
successfully meet the challenges of the 21st century."