December 2008

Dear Friends of Philippine Liberalism:

 As 2008 quickly comes to a close, we would like to thank you for another year
of working with us. This year was filled with much significance. It brings to a
close our 50 years celebration of freedom, 50 years of joining together to
further the cause of the individual. We could not have achieved so much through
the years without your support.

We are closing this year the same way we opened it  focusing on the
individual. The Foundation sponsored two events highlighting human rights. The
first was a series of consultations between the Ateneo Human Rights Center and
the alumni of its internship program. These were aimed at seeking their
insights on the most pressing issues concerning the state of the rule of law in
the country and to probe for possible reforms.

This being also the 60th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human
Rights, we marked it by hosting a forum to review the countrys human rights
record. The situation continues to be grim, but there have been some
breakthroughs according to the Commission on Human Rights of the Philippines.

These two events coupled with the closing of our 50th anniversary year serves
as a reminder that our work for freedom never ends. As we look towards another
50 years, we hope you will continue to stand together with us. The cause of
individual freedom is everyones responsibility.

We wish you a joyful and peaceful Holiday, and we look forward to greeting you
in the New Year. 2009 is promising to be even more exciting than this year. We
already have several activities lined up for the first quarter of next year,
and these will prove to be intellectually enriching.

Until next time & stay tuned!

Siegfried Siggi Herzog

Whats Amiss with the Legal System? AHRC Discusses with Alumni of its
Internship Program

Over the years more than 500 young law students have participated in the
internship program of the Ateneo Human Rights Center (AHRC). They learn about
alternative lawyering and the problems the poor face in getting justice. Many
have been deeply moved by the experience, and quite a few have entered the
field of alternative lawyering themselves. Others are now working in private
law firms: the corporate world or government. A former intern is even a current
commissioner of the Commission on Human Rights of the Philippines. More:
http://www.fnf.org.ph/news/whats-amiss-with-the-legal-system.htm

Foundation Marks 60th Anniversary of UDHR with Review of Countrys Human Rights
Record

The Friedrich Naumann Foundation for Liberty (FNF) marked the 60th anniversary
of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) by co-sponsoring a human
rights forum with the Ateneo Human Rights Center and the Commission on Human
Rights of the Philippines (CHR) in Pasay City on 10 December 2008. The forum
sought to evaluate the Philippines human rights records and note any progress
after 60 years of the declaration. More:
http://www.fnf.org.ph/news/foundation-marks-60th-anniv-of-UDHR.htm

 Episode 34: Measuring Economic Freedom

Excerpts from the speech of Senator Manuel MAR Roxas II, Liberal Party
president, at the September launch of the Philippine edition of the Economic
Freedom of the World (EFW): 2008 Report. He explains that economic freedom is
based on property rights. When these are protected by law, Filipinos are free
to produce and trade goods. Unfortunately, the countrys ungainly laws and
inefficient judicial system restrain it from moving forward. Please listen
here: http://www.fnf.org.ph/podcast/news/episode-34.html.

Episode 35: Competitiveness: Lessons from Germany

Siegfried Herzog analyzes Germanys ingredients for competitiveness as well as
its disadvantages. He weighs the benefits of its dual system of education, the
relationship between its trade unions and employers, its financing system and
its efficient bureaucracy against the weaknesses of its high labor costs and
greatly regulated labor market. Please listen here:
http://www.fnf.org.ph/podcast/news/episode-35.html.

 The International Academy for Leadership (IAF) 2009 program is out! IAF
includes new topics in its roster next year while continuing to offer its
popular online seminars and classic topics. Please e-mail letters of intent
outlining responsibilities and relevance to the seminar applied for and latest
CVs to applicat...@fnst.org. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.

      Friedrich Naumann Foundation for Liberty
Makati Central Post Office Box 3196, Makati City, 1271 Philippines
Tel.: (63)(2) 8403728/29
Fax: (63)(2) 8103189
Website: www.fnf.org.ph
Send comments to: libe...@fnst.org
Listen to The Liberal Times Manila Podcast

 This issue has been sent to 2106 individuals and organizations.
If you wish to unsubscribe from this newsletter, please click here.
Copyright © FNF Philippines: www.fnf.org.ph

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: