*** Democracies Online Newswire - http://www.e-democracy.org/do ***

An interesting article in Stateline sparked my interest:

Pennsylvania, Washington Take Different Paths To E-Government
http://www.stateline.org/story.cfm?storyid=82768

My comments:

The governments that seek to use the Netscape Open Directory model
(distributed aggregation of directory content with open syndication
for content for reuse by multiple web sites) to expand and develop
"public portals" will win my vote.

Net-era public/private partnerships should not involve government
grants of exclusive contracts to specific commercial entities.  The
public-private partnership models of the 1980's should be cast aside
in the new Internet century.  This will only happen if citizens
within their own states and nations work positively with governments
to help them to learn about and apply working Internet-era
cooperative models in public services.  Governments can make mistakes
and when the only people knocking on their door on these issues are
companies looking for exclusive deals, inevitably that is what we
will get.  Without a citizen or user voice calling for the right kind
of better e-government will see this fundamental opportunity for
service and information access reform disappear.

When I coordinated the State of Minnesota's government online
initiative (94-97), I hid my understanding that control of the top
interface to government will become the number one interface through
which most citizens will interact and view their government.  To
allow the front-end to become politicized or commercialized would
damage future public trust for generations.  As the Internet has
evolved, we can now encourage efforts where governments fund
non-commercial public portals to cover all public services and
entities be they local or state government or non-profits/civic
organizations.  The trick is to encourage private sector competition
through aggregration and distribution of accurate, up-to-date, well
structured directory and essential public service information on an
open basis.  Allow those commercial sites with eye ball traffic to
integrate the best of "public service" content and services.  Get the
private sector to compete over who provides the most added value and
only worry about bring citizen traffic to public sector/non-profit
sites when it really matters (i.e. who care if the school lunch menu
is read on the local newspapers web site or digitally broadcast by
the morning TV talk show).  Creating competitive sites that seek to
draw traffic away from commercial sites that don't have the benefit
of special government treatment is the wrong way to go.  Don't pick
winners, make people compete so the citizens can win.

Humble opinion of,

Steven Clift
Democracies Online Newswire

^               ^               ^                ^
Steven L. Clift    -    W: http://www.publicus.net
Minneapolis    -   -   -     E: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Minnesota  -   -   -   -   -    T: +1.612.822.8667
USA    -   -   -   -   -   -   -     ICQ: 13789183

*** Please send submissions to:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]     ***
*** To subscribe, e-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          ***
***         Message body:  SUB DO-WIRE                  ***
*** To unsubscribe instead, write: UNSUB DO-WIRE        ***

*** Please forward this post to others and encourage    ***
*** them to subscribe to the free DO-WIRE service.      ***