Date sent:              Fri, 30 Jun 2000 15:35:06 -0500
From:                   "Nick Osborn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To:                     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject:                State of Texas Internet Broadcast Task Force

Dear colleagues,

We're working on a report to the Texas legislature focusing on best
uses of the Internet to increase public participation in government
open meetings. We're taking the approach that policy does not
necessarily have to lag technology. Instead, policy choices can
dictate how technology dollars are spent.

That said, we are evaluating the costs and benefits of two broad
alternatives for public participation:

1) Hearing or viewing a meeting broadcast over the Internet (real or
delayed) ; and

2) Contributing to that meeting in terms of testimony, comment, etc.
and being able to mine the site where public proceedings and
documents are posted.

Our research so far suggests that given the choice, members of the
public would choose #2.

It seems that some effort should be spent to capture audio and/or
video of meetings. However, it may be more useful to the public to
put scarce technology resources toward archiving, searching, and
retrieving all the documentation for meetings, not just audio and
video records.  We're calling this approach a 'public participation
portal.'

We need to identify cases in which other organizations have had to
make similar choices. We would especially like information about
consumer feedback/evidence about usefulness, etc.

If you have any experiences in this area which you could share, or
know of such cases, please contact me at the address below.

Nick Osborn
Chair, Internet Broadcast Task Force
Texas Department of Information Resources
Tel (512) 475-3568
Fax (512) 475-4759
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.dir.state.tx.us

^               ^               ^                ^
Steven L. Clift    -    W: http://www.publicus.net
Minneapolis    -   -   -     E: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Minnesota  -   -   -   -   -    T: +1.612.822.8667
USA    -   -   -   -   -   -   -     ICQ: 13789183

*** Please send submissions to:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]     ***
*** To subscribe, e-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          ***
***         Message body:  SUB DO-WIRE                  ***
*** To unsubscribe instead, write: UNSUB DO-WIRE        ***

*** Please forward this post to others and encourage    ***
*** them to subscribe to the free DO-WIRE service.      ***