*** Democracies Online Newswire -  http://www.e-democracy.org/do ***
*** New!  Discuss Posts - http://e-democracy.org/do/discuss.html ***

See:
http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/business/industries/computers_and_internet/3111793.htm
(Text is below)

The downtown police precinct in Minneapolis hosts a two-way e-mail list
for communication related crime prevention.  While I am aware of various
one-way e-mail alert networks in my fair city
<http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/citywork/police/ccp-safe/emaillist.html>
the two-way downtown list is a prime example of how the Internet can be
used to involve people in directly dealing with public concerns.

The other "government as online communication host" for the implementation
of public policy goals that I feel is extremely important is the Community
Builder site/web forum/e-list. It is hosted by the state government of New
South Wales in Australia <http://www.communitybuilders.nsw.gov.au/>.  You
can get a sense of their 800+ person exchange related to community
development directly at
<http://www.communitybuilders.nsw.gov.au/forum/list.php?f=3>.
Including such topics as "Public Toilets and their Future"
<http://www.communitybuilders.nsw.gov.au/forum/read.php?f=3&i=594&t=594>.
First we had reality-based television, now reality-based e-democracy. :-)

It is my belief that we need a grid for civic/inter-governmental
information exchange that works from the local level on up.  If we do not
build the framework for information exchange forums that deal with more
mundane public services, we will never have the foundation required for
larger, often national or international policy issue online deliberation.
With the globalization of so many policy issues that directly impact local
and national policy options, the initial tendency is to first create more
global online civil society forums.  These global information exchange
places will have limited impact as long as there is no grass roots
framework for local information exchange on related topics.  The
cross-flow of relevant e-mail posts between many-to-many local, national,
and global forums with provide a powerful multiplier effect.

So for example, back to crime, if you want a global agreement on say drug
crimes to be effective, you need lots of local crime prevention forums
that can be consulted online for input on the global policy framework.
The participants in each local online exchange are represented
by somebody in traditional political power structures (i.e. they are
voters) while purely global forums are not viewed by anyone with
legitimate power as something they must take notice based on some
sense that they risk political ramifications in their district.  If public
officials, including national leaders had a sense that what they were
doing on a global stage might generate positive or negative buzz across
local forums in their country, perhaps impact the next election, they will
both take such online forums seriously and attempt to engage them to
assist their political goals. That will then open up the opportunity to
use online information exchange and discussions in efforts to not just
promote accountability and set the public agenda, but also to help
improve the outcomes of the public policy process.

Steven Clift
Democracies Online
http://www.e-democracy.org/do

From:
http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/business/industries/computers_and_internet/3111793.htm

(I have included the full article for educational purposes because I am
not sure whether this site keeps articles at the same URL for more than a
week - they didn't before their recent redesign.)

Posted on Mon, Apr. 22, 2002

Cyber-Crimestoppers

More than an electronic bullhorn, e-mail has given Minneapolis police an
interactive, effective means to combat downtown crime.

BY LESLIE BROOKS SUZUKAMO
Pioneer Press

Police departments around the country often turn to high-tech
crime-fighting tools costing small fortunes.

But in Minneapolis, two police workers say they've found a smarter and
cheaper anti-crime technology.

It's called e-mail.

Electronic mail is hardly cutting-edge in the computer sense. In downtown
Minneapolis, though, officer Craig Williams and civilian crime-prevention
staffer Luther Krueger are using it in ways that are cutting-edge as
public-safety measures, experts believe.

In what is being dubbed a "virtual block club," police and about 430 other
people with downtown connections are able to exchange messages as part of
a communal crime-fighting effort.

Membership in the virtual block club is free. Creating it cost police
nothing. They simply did what thousands of gardening groups, computer
clubs, sports enthusiasts and politics junkies have already done  they
started an e-mail group.

The group, also known as a mailing list or listserv, allows police to
communicate with the managers and owners of downtown office buildings,
bars, restaurants and parking ramps.

What's more, any group member can communicate with all members because
messages sent to a communal e-mail address are automatically transmitted
to every subscriber.

This is humdrum stuff in the technology world, but it's an electrifying
innovation in a part of Minneapolis where traditional block clubs and
crime watches wouldn't work.

About 167,000 people flow into downtown every morning, but they leave just
as quickly around 5 p.m. This means community meetings would likely see
sparse attendance.

But with e-mail as an alternate community builder, police have direct or
indirect access to thousands of downtown cubicle denizens. As a result,
they rarely need to print crime-alert flyers or send faxes anymore.

"With (the e-mail group), we can allow people on their own time to get
caught up with what's going on," Williams says.

Minneapolis isn't new to e-mail as a community service. It began using it
in 1996 to send out crime alerts, as St. Paul police and other departments
now do. But most only use e-mail as a high-tech bullhorn to blast out
one-way messages.

By contrast, Minneapolis police have fostered interactivity with their
e-mail group. In addition to swapping e-mails, members can visit a
communal Web site at groups.yahoo.com/group/MPD-DTC that offers more
community-building options.

They can see an archive of past messages, respond to any of them, e-mail
list organizers or other members directly, read traffic bulletins
concerning construction of downtown's light-rail transit line, even view
weekly maps showing locations of serious crimes.

"I think it's awesome," says Nicholas Luciano, vice president of Hannon
Security Services, which provide security for several downtown buildings.

Luciano used the group recently to track a rash of plant thefts from his
buildings. A plant rustler was wandering into building lobbies,
distracting security guards, then walking out with expensive decorative
plants.

When news of one of the thefts got posted on the list, suddenly security
personnel from other buildings downtown chimed in, noting similar
descriptions for the suspect and motus operandi.

"You could almost follow the guy down the skyway. People were saying
things like, 'We just checked him out of my building,' " Luciano says. "It
works that quick."

Police went interactive in 2000 to prepare for a controversial genetics
conference that attracted animal-rights protestors that summer.

Members of the Minneapolis Building Owners and Managers Association
suggested the move after seeing their counterparts in Seattle use a
similar e-mail group to communicate during the World Trade Organization
riots in 1999, says Kent Warden, Minneapolis BOMA executive director.

Minneapolis police kept their group alive and tweaked it. Since it got
into full swing in June 2000, serious crimes have dropped dramatically at
some locations due, in part, to improved e-mail communication, Krueger
says.

After police began sending downtown bars weekly summaries of their own
police calls, the establishments began minding their business better, he
says. Calls related to assaults and other disturbances dropped by 12
percent at some bars between 2000 and 2001, he notes.

Parking ramps, also supplied with weekly incident reports, experienced
dramatic decreases in serious crimes last year. The private summaries
showed exact locations of most incidents  isolated rooftops, in many cases
allowing ramp owners to alert their own security, Krueger says.

Even petty-theft reports from office towers, restaurants and other locales
dropped by 21 percent from 2000 to 2001, he says.

The crime drops can't be attributed entirely to e-mail, he acknowledges.
Police stepped up code enforcements at the bars, for instance, and
conducted office-tower walk-throughs at roughly the same time.

But the e-mail group taps a wellspring of neighborhood knowledge that
might otherwise fly under police radar.

"What it does is allow us to say, 'We're having a problem with this guy.
Are you?' And someone else says, 'We are too,' " says Scott Hrouda,
building supervisor for the Northstar Center on Marquette Avenue. "And
that's when Luther's ears prick up and he asks us, 'Who is this guy?' "

The National Crime Prevention Council knows of only a handful of
departments using e-mail, but none with the interactive capabilities of
the Minneapolis e-mail group.

Most are like the PolicEmail listserv in Clearwater, Fla., a city of
120,000 people. Police started its e-mail group last month for nearly 100
neighborhoods, including downtown. The group has several hundred members.

When receiving e-mails from police, members can click "reply" to send a
message back to the department. But they can't post their own messages for
other members to see, a capability the agency says it likes.

"That's not a bad idea," says deputy chief Dewey Williams, the
department's Webmaster. "It would work on a smaller scale."

The Minneapolis e-mail group is "a phenomenal development," says Steven
Clift, a Minneapolis-based online strategist who maintains political and
community-building listservs such as Minnesota E-Democracy
(www.e-democracy.org).

Astounded to learn that Minneapolis police allow group members to
interact, he says, "I am not aware of any police department that allows
(e-mail-group) members to talk to each other. It's a bold move."

"They're talking many to many," Clift says. "That's much more powerful
than talking individually."

No such program exists in St. Paul, police spokesman Michael Jordan says.

While St. Paul sends out automated e-mails related to public services such
as snow-emergency notices, it has no two-way e-mail groups, says Rebecca
Stenberg, project manager for the Parks and Recreation Department and a
member of a citywide committee that works on e-government initiatives.

Minneapolis police recently expanded its e-mail group to include
residential Loring Park and Elliot Park near downtown, but it has no
immediate plans for such a program in other neighborhoods.

E-mail groups might not work well in neighborhoods without the saturation
e-mail coverage of a downtown, and they would likely wither in lower-crime
neighborhoods, the department says.

So far, the downtown e-mail group seems to serve police and others
equally.

"It feels like we're more connected to people," Williams says. "And they
get what they want: They get answers to their questions."