mediaobject is a block-level element, while inlinemediaobject is an inline. There are subtleties for where these are allowed and how they are rendered.

The block level, for example, is usually rendered on a new line, where the inline is rendered in-place. It might be easier to see the difference in a FO rendering, as the browser may be wrapping your inline to look the same as the block level?

HTH,

--Scott

John Brown wrote:
Warren Young <warren <at> etr-usa.com> writes:

John Brown wrote:
Isn't everything "inline"?
No.

Let us say our media object is FOO.

We may insert FOO inline.  Or, we may reference

      FOO

as a block-level object separately.

As with everything in DocBook, this presentation issue isn't specified
by DocBook itself.

I understand the concept fully. Instead of just having <bold> or
something similar, we are forced to type <emphasis role="strong">. That
way, they can truthfully say that DocBook specifies the content and not
the appearance of a document.

 But, the two different tags exist because these two
ways of showing graphics and such are common needs, with common default
interpretations.

That's what I need to know. What are these default interpretations?
The mediaobject in question is an image file (PNG, 8.5in X 11in, 300
dpi). Do you mean that an inlinemediaobject should just be displayed on
the page, but a mediaobject should be a hyperlink that might display
the image in a new page, or maybe launch an external application to
display the image?

 You use 'inline' for something small that can be read
right along with the text, and regular presentation for everything else.

When I generate HTML, I see not the slightest difference between
mediaobject and inlinemediaobject, which is why I'm asking. I have not
tried inlinemediaobject with FO yet, but mediaobjects are certainly
displayed "inline".

In case it's relevant, I am using xsltproc and FOP-trunk (late March
/ early April).