Jirka wrote:

But some people prefer to use nested blocks, for example if you have let say enumeration presented as list inside one logical piece of text, [you] it is more precise to markup it as:

<para>
  <itemizedlist>
  </itemizedlist>
</para>

then as

<para>
</para>
<itemizedlist>
</itemizedlist>
<para>
</para>

To my mind the first (embedded block) is the only logical way to express the idea of a paragraph containing a list. The second is both inelegant and logically confused, the list is not in the para where it belongs, and a logical para is artificially broken up into three separate units - an obvious kludge.

If you don't like embedded blocks, use simpara. Alternatively (and not backwards compatible) change para to <complexpara> and change simpara to para as Jirka suggests for simple use.

# model para after simpara (no nested blocks, no info)
db.para =
  element para
  {
     db.simpara.attlist,
     db.all.inlines*
  }

Personally I'd say docbook got it right first time; leave it alone.

Ron
--
Ron Catterall, Phd, DSc                         email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Prolongacion de Hidalgo 140                             http://catterall.net/