Hi!

It seems that when fop.extensions or fop1.extensions are on dbfo-need processing instruction (used for soft page breaks) is ignored.

  I found this bug report:

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2816141&group_id=21935&atid=373747

  and this thread:

http://www.mail-archive.com/docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org/msg13096.html
(I believe the problem in the sample given in this thread is that dbfo-need is mentioned here: http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/PageBreaking.html "Because the mechanism uses blocks, you cannot put the processing instruction inline. It must be between elements that generate blocks of text, otherwise you may get invalid XSL-FO.")

However, if I comment out the parts that cause fop to be ignored in fo/pi.xsl the said processing instruction seems to work as intended. Well, almost - if there is no page break caused, the text continues a little down from where it should be. But there are no validation errors mentioned in the bug report.

So, the question is: what situations does this cause problems in when using fop?

  using docbook-xsl 1.75.1 and fop 0.95.

      ::Antti::

  Ps. Here's one of the small samples I experimented with:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<book>
        <title>example</title>
        <preface>