Bernhard--

I'll just comment on one thing, then shut up :-). It appears you're already familiar with LaTeX. It's possible to convert DocBook to LaTeX using the dblatex program (http://dblatex.sourceforge.net/), and you can create customizations to take advantage of other LaTeX packages, etc. We've used dblatex for over a decade to do grammars; we added a few XML schemas + transformations not in standard DocBook for linguistic structures. There was a bit of a learning curve; xslt is definitely my un-favorite programming language. (Andy Black, who may be lurking on this list, helped us through the early days.)

   Mike Maxwell
   University of Maryland