As Bob Stayton has just been kind enough to point out I've managed to make no
sense here.
Please read this as:

I've just been looking at some XML coming in from a typesetter and noticed some
misuse of <extendedlink> elements. Looking at what they were trying to do led
me to suspect they should have been using a simple <link> element. Of course,
these aren't allowed within bibliomixed elements.

So, is there a particular reason why <extendedlink> is allowed within
<bibliomixed> when <link> isn't?

yours in a vaguely embarrassed manner

nic