On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 3:52 PM, Sophie Gautier <gautier.sop...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Hal,
>
> On 10/01/2011 04:43, Hal Parker wrote:
>
>> Are we using the term "dialog" or "dialog box"? The OOo books vary in
>> usage:
>> Getting Started and Calc (and maybe Draw; I didn't check) use "dialog"
>> while
>> the Writer Guide uses "dialog box".
>>
>> The LibreOffice options use the term "dialog" for some of the options. I
>> haven't checked the help, but I think it also uses "dialog".
>>
>> If we settle on "dialog", I will amend the Writer Guide chapters as I go
>> through them doing other things.
>>
>> FWIW, I personally prefer "dialog" but the important thing is to be
>> consistent, when we can. I suspect other variations in terminology in both
>> the program and the user guides, left over from OOo.
>>

> If you want to stay consistent with the help files content, then you should
> use [dialog] because this is what is used all over there.
> May be we should find a way for you to use our translation memory or
> glossaries so you get the same words for the UI, the Help and your
> documentation? This is what we try to achieve with our translation tools. Or
> just let you research for the terms on Pootle would be enough, I don't know?

Sophie, thank you for the confirmation that the Help uses "dialog". IMO that
is the best reason for the user guides to use that term also.

I think it would be very helpful for the writers to have access to (or a
copy of) the glossaries used for the UI and Help. I don't know what might be
the best way for us to do that. I have never used Pootle or any type of
translation tool. I think for the writers/reviewers/editors, having a list
of terms in the documentation resources would be easier for us to use. I,
for example, often work offline, so I would like to have a word list that I
can store on my own computer.

This is my opinion. David and Ron and the others may have different ideas,
or know more about it than I do.

Hal