Hi, :-)

> How would this work in practice on the Alfresco site? Where would the common
> files be stored, and (more importantly) how would they be referenced in the
> linked sections? And how would that work when someone has downloaded a file
> (containing those linked sections) to work on?
>
> I think I know how to do this with files stored on the ODFAuthors site,
> which has a fairly straightforward directory hierarchy that I can duplicate
> on my computer, but I'm not at all sure about Alfresco.

For me, the most logical place to store them is where people like you
think is the most logical place to store them.

So my idea is that you guys should think about what you reckon you
need, and we'll set that up for you.

Also if you have reservations about the way anything is set up on the
Alfresco site (folder structures and whatever else), please do let me
know and we can figure out how to change things accordingly. I'm sure
you'll agree that the idea of a decent tool is that it should do much
more adapting to fit your needs than you have to do to fit in with it.

I haven't done any file merges within Alfresco, so I can't give you
definite info about it. But I will look into the matter quickly.
However, I am *pretty* sure it won't be a problem. Alfresco stores all
the files within the server's file system (not as objects in a
database), so it would probably be done pretty much the same as on
someone's local computer. Therefore, you should only have to know the
directories in which files live on the server OS.

But I'll get back to you about this soon.

David Nelson