________________________________
From: Gary Schnabl <gschn...@swdetroit.com>
To: documentation@libreoffice.org
Sent: Thu, 10 March, 2011 13:19:07
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-documentation] Alfresco site offline?

On 3/9/2011 10:36 PM, David Nelson wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Sorry, I'm very tardy in replying, I've been absent a few days, and
> have been somewhat occupied, as you will learn. I've got some good
> news and some bad news for you.
>
> First, the bad news. After having done some particularly-inspired
> configuration work on Alfresco, it came crashing to a halt and died.
> This was the admin's human error, not Alfresco's.
>
> All attempts to fix the problem over the past few days have been
> fruitless to date. If anyone is curious and wants to download a backup
> of the crashed site, you can get it at [1] - a juicy 759 Mb. It
> contains everything from the system: database, file system, the
> currently-inaccessible data, etc.
>
> There is a completely new and working Alfresco installation on
> http://alfresco.libreoffice.org and
> http://documentation.libreoffice.org, but all user accounts are going
> to be have to be recreated.. I will do this as from Friday.
>
> After that, I'll start rebuilding everything. But I currently have no
> assurance of being to recover *any* data.
>
> Oh, did I mention good news? Again, I should point out that this was
> 100% human error and no malfunction of Alfresco's. Alfresco has proven
> so far to be extremely stable and reliable on the server, and the
> performances are now quite reasonable. This disaster happened in the
> same way that a perfectly-working car will drive into a wall if you
> point it in that direction.
>
> Now that the domain names have rolled over to the libreoffice.org
> domain, I'm planning to contact the Alfresco project and try and get
> them involved as a partner in configuring and customizing the site.
>
> For the next 24-48 hours, I'm busy and won't be heard much, but I'll
> be working on things over the weekend.
>
> You can imagine how humbly I offer you all my apologies.
>
> [1] traduction.biz/downloads/alfresco-3.4c.back.tar.gz
>
> David Nelson

How come that there was no backup? Three-quarters of a GB is really
small peanuts storage-wise nowadays. My two Microsoft-hosted and
Linux-hosted 1and1.com (Schlund.de) business accounts afford me 500 GB
of storage alone and tons of other services I would never need for a
total of $20 a month. Plus, just about any small dedicated fileserver or
unused home PC could have filled in as backup--for free.

That lack of planning is quite a disservice to all the contributors'
time and effort--not saying that I put in any time...

Gary

Hi :)
Sadly Murphy's Law happens.  Hindsight is wonderful but presumably the back-ups
fell foul of the same problem as the original as does sometimes happen.  See
the
new Enterprise where Commander Tucker is unhappy to only have only 1 backup for
a 5 part system that can run on just 1 cylinder (in a pinch).  I imagine David
has been "sweating buckets" trying to recover or rebuild and most people have
probably been pitying him while trying to find their own back-ups to help him.
Regards from