On 09/06/2011 21:38, Jean Weber wrote:

> I don't know what this will mean for us in the OOo and LibO docs groups, but
> I am concerned about the potential for further fragmentation of a small group
> of docs people into working on several
projects.

If The Apache Software Foundation does what they normally do with
projects, there will not be a binary release of Apache OpenOffice.org.
There will only be a source code release.

The onus will be on third parties to deliver binaries.

Given the history of third party distribution of OOo binaries, I suspect
that tracking the third parties that deliver binaries that are either
based upon, or exclusively Apache OpenOffice.org code to non-trivial.

I don't see typical OOo end-users grabbing the Apache OpenOffice.org
source code, and compiling it for their system.

> We really need to work on better ways to reuse material without time
> consuming rebranding

+1

OTOH, I'm not sure how much material will be reusable.
In updating _OOo in a Multi-Lingual Environment_, my original theory was
to include OOo4Kids, and OOoLight.  Due to the differences between those
programs, and OOo, I had to either write: "This can not be done using
OOo4Kids" or else write a completely different set of instructions.
Instructions that, as often as not, did not work with either OOo, or LibO.

> by automating everything we can and choosing not to do some
non-essential things that can't be automated.

The practical issue is:
* Which existing OOo derivatives/variants should the Documentation
Project track;
* What criteria should be used, to determine which new
derivatives/variants should be tracked;

Existing OOo derivatives/variants are:
# FLOSS:
* GO-Oo;
* BrOffice;
* LibreOffice;
* OOo4Kids;
* OOoLight;
* OpenOffice.org;
* OxygenOffice;

# Proprietary:
* 602Office;
* Co-Create Office;
* EuroOffice;
* KaiOffice;
* MagyarOffice;
* MyOffice 2007;
* NeoOffice;
* NextOffice;
* OfficeOne;
* OpenOffice Pro;
* OpenOffice UX PL;
* OpenOffice PL;
* RedOffice;
* StarOffice/Oracle OpenOffice;
* Symphony;
* ThizOffice;
* UPOffice;
* WPOffice;

I put that list together, based on various pages on the web.  Not all of
those programs are still distributed.

jonathon
- --
If Bing copied Google, there wouldn't be anything new worth requesting.

If Bing did not copy Google, there wouldn't be anything relevant worth
requesting.

                              DaveJakeman 20110207 Groklaw.