On Thu, 2011-06-23 at 19:04 +0200, C wrote:

> >> What purpose do you want this functionality for?

> >> But for what purpose?
> >>
> >> Nino
> >
> > DUH! For any users wanting to add any highlighting and such--a thing
> > typically done by millions of students and others over the past few decades
> > on their printed material and books by (usually yellow-colored) magic
> > markers. That highlighting functionality can also be done now electronically
> > on PDFs (as it is commonly done on such converted PDFs) and even carried
> > over to printed hard copy, if users so desire to print them out afterward.
> >
> > In addition to highlighting, editorial comments and the like by users could
> > also be added directly to the PDF documents, among other capabilities.
>
> The big hole in that idea is that Adobe Acrobat Professional is a
> Windows/MAC-only application that costs $449 US per license.  That
> leaves out those of us who use Linux... and the team members that
> cannot afford that rather high license cost.
>
> It may be a nice-to-have feature, but due to cost and OS restrictions,
> it will probably remain a nice-to-have.
>
> C.

Does anyone know what pdf functionality LO exports have? I have never
tested it myself, no interest until now.

If they have the desire functionality then there is no reason to use
Acrobat, just export from LO. Personally I do not highlight books or
e-texts. For e-texts I use formatting to highlight important items for
the reader. If something you can using formating in the original to draw
the readers/users attention to it. If I need to edit a pdf file, I can
use pdf Edit in Linux and I assume there are Windows/Mac equivalents.

--
Jay Lozier
jsloz...@gmail.com